Canvas artwork is a beautiful thing and is more accessible today than ever. It offers individuals a choice of what to have adorning their walls and can brighten up any room that you choose to hang it in. Readily available on the Internet, more people are aware of canvas artwork than ever and are prepared to invest in it as a viable alternative to purchasing stocks and shares and other such accepted investments today. However, too many of those people do not think through their investment at all. They rush into buying something that they think may be profitable and often end up with something that will be worthless in the years to come. In terms of appreciating canvas art, this is possibly the worst thing that you could do so it is about time that everyone looking to purchase art found out exactly what they should consider prior to investing. That begins right here with the top 10 things to consider when buying canvas artwork:
- Paint or Print? – Canvas paintings are worth more than canvas prints as a general rule, although there are of course exceptions to it, but the two are of course very different. Despite this fact, many people do not know the difference and just buy one or the other without realizing. If you are making an investment and can afford a larger outlay then canvas paintings are the way to go but there are canvas prints that appreciate well and are also worth investing in. Take your time to weigh up what works for you.
- Canvas – No matter whether you buy a canvas painting or a canvas print, there is one common element between the artwork – the canvas. As such, you should know that you have to check the quality of the canvas regardless. The canvas should be made of cotton, GSM or another natural source if you are to maintain its condition over an extended period of time. Avoid polyester and other synthetic canvases like the plague.
- Quality – The quality of the image itself should also be checked thoroughly. Is the paint beginning to chip off at all? Are there flaws in the print that should not be there? Is the overall condition of a high quality? Whether you are investing or simply want a piece to hang up, never skimp on the quality.
- Exclusivity – This applies primarily to canvas prints because canvas paintings tend to be unique by their very nature. Canvas prints should either be unique or on a limited run if their value is to go up in the years to come so make sure that they are not mass produced before you invest.
- Style – Does the style of a canvas art piece suit you? Is it modern or traditional? Which of those options do your prefer? These are valid questions because there is no point investing in art if you do not like its style, regardless of how large a return you are likely to get on your investment.
- Affordability – This point is important when you buy any canvas art because you should be able to afford it outright. Always establish a budget and stick to it to make sure that you are not paying over and above what you can afford.
- Placement – Think about where you plan to put canvas paintings and canvas prints prior to you buying them in the first place. Will they complement the decor that you have in the room that you plan to hang them? If not then do you plan to use it as a central feature for new decor?
- Fashion– Although you should only invest in canvas art you like, you should think long and hard about whether it will go out of fashion because if it does then its value may deteriorate. If you do not mind then this is all well and good but consider the point anyway.
- Long Term Value – Every investment is about long term value so do a little research as to how much similar paintings or prints appreciate doe an idea of the investment you are making.
So there you have it – the top 10 things to consider when buying canvas artwork. Of course, the list is only limited to the top 10 and there are other elements to consider but these provide you with an excellent starting point. From now on, you will be able to find the art that suits you, your budget and your future plans with little hassle! Check out CanvasPaintings.com for the best canvas artwork around.